Our staff is trained to use Lámh sign language.
What is Lámh?
Lámh is the manual sign system used by children and adults with intellectual disability and communication needs in Ireland. Lámh was originally developed in the early 1980s in order to have a unified, standardised, Irish-based approach to signing for those with intellectual disabilities and communication needs. With Lámh, speech is always used with signs and only key words in a sentence are signed.
Lámh currently has 500 signs and has evolved and added signs since its initial development.
Why use Lámh?
- Use of Lámh signs can reduce frustration, as the Lámh user is able to use signs to ask for what they want, to answer and to take part in conversation. The Lámh user may be more easily understood when they use signs and this encourages many to try new words and say more.
- Signing naturally encourages people to slow down a little so there is more time to work out the message.
- Signing encourages eye contact and attention to movement; skills that are important for supporting speech development.
Lámh on YouTube:
Lámh alphabet and some signs:
Lámh Time App for Android
The Lámh Time App© is a play and learning app for children who use Lámh Signs to support their communication, and for families and professionals using Lámh Signs with them. Expert presenters Maura and Keith use Lámh Signs to guide Lámh users through fun activities as well as illustrated stories.
The Lámh Time App features Lámh signs for use at home and at school. With the app, Lámh users have opportunities to see and use Lámh Signs in context and in sentences. Live action is combined with graphics and animation. Families and professionals can use the Lámh Sign Library to review and practice individual Lámh Signs from each section.
- 4 Home-themed activities
- 2 School-themed activities – classroom and playground
- Knock-knock activity
- 2 fun stories
- Lámh Signs© Library
- Links to further information
The Lámh Time App can be used by young Lámh users, families and professionals at home and in education and therapeutic settings. The app supports signing in context and Lámh Sign practice.
NEW! Little Lámh App for iPad
The Little Lámh App helps families to begin to use Lámh signs to support their child’s communication. Developed by Waterford I.T. graduate Paul Hassett for Lámh, the App includes videos and descriptions of 26 Lámh signs. The App has been designed to accompany the Little Lámh Workshop for parents, which combines sign teaching with practical advice about supporting communication.